Thursday 17 May 2012

Tutorial 1: Information Technology and Ethics


For my first blog I have been asked to explore what exactly Information Technology means, and the ethical issues that can arise when we use technologies.

Before I began this course, my definition of Information Technology was simple- I thought it meant anything to do with computers. If I was to be perfectly honest, I didn’t actually know that the abbreviation “IT” in fact stood for Information Technology until I clicked onto it during our first class. The definition of Information Technology according to better informed people, such as Allen (2004), defines Information technology to be the use of computers, telecommunications, and other devices, in electronic processing, storing, retrieving and sending information. Other definitions such as from Wikipedia describe it as, “The acquisition, processing, storage and dissemination of vocal, pictorial, textual and numerical information by a microelectronics-based combination of computing and telecommunications (2012).” So from all these definitions, I have been progressive in my thinking and now see Information technology as not only computers, but it is all the ways we use, share, and store information using the different gadgets, machines and devices that are currently available.

Technology is becoming more and more a part of everyday life. I would think one would find it increasingly difficult to find a person that hasn’t used any item of technology in the last while. Even the older generation are joining the pack. I know my grandparents are, as they now order their groceries online, use Skype video calling, and frequently send text messages.


here is a clip about the advances on technology advances changing human evolution.

I think that Information Technology is becoming an increasingly common place, which is strongly held together by the internet. Through the internet we can come together in a common cyber place, which also allows us to share with others our own individual common places. My flat for example is a common place to me, and even though my mother hasn’t physically stepped foot inside it, she knows exactly what it looks like due to me giving her a video tour and showing her photos online.

I will admit however I am not the biggest fan of technology. In fact I struggle to use majority of technology devices. They just don’t interest me that much. I have a basic cell phone, and cannot for the life of me use an IPhone or any of the other latest Apple products. I have a laptop which I use regularly for Polytech purposes, but it is not the latest or the greatest and is a very standard model. I am not one of those people that need to have the newest of everything, just as long as I can receive texts, check emails, type out assignments, and go on Facebook then I am happy. Oh and check Moodle!

On my field work placements there was not a lot of use for technology. The clients that used the facilities were from an older generation and preferred to engage in activities such as painting, going for walks, jewellery making and cooking. It was interesting to note though that a lot of what they made and where the care workers got their ideas for activities from where now from the internet instead of books.



Here is a video concerning technology within the elder generation.

Because we are entering a future with continuous increasing technology, it is important to try to understand and see how IT will help us in our future practise, and in our daily lives. Even of we don’t like it, we will have to adapt and deal with it to a certain extent. There are many benefits that IT brings, I just think the main obstacle is learning and becoming familiar with how it works.

Often with technology there are ethical considerations that need to be made. These are mainly regarding the capturing, sharing, and transferring of information. The considerations around ethics are becoming more concerning in all areas, with the aim of preventing any form of harm (Quin, 2009).

Computer ethics from what is stated in Wikipedia (2012) is a branch of practical philosophy which deals with how computing professionals should make decisions regarding professional and social conduct. From what I have seen on most social networking sites, and other sites involving social interaction, they have codes and conduct out in place which all members must read the terms and conditions, then “click  agree” to enable them to further use the site. I assume this is how websites receive approval from its users in the aim of being more ethical. These sites also give their users the options to choose what information they want to share, and with who they want to share it with. These features haven’t always been available though. It used to be that when you were “tagged” in a photo on Facebook, it was uploaded strait onto your personal page for everyone to see, and sometimes it could be there for days without you even knowing! Of course you had the power to remove it from your own page and un-tag yourself, but from the time of the tagging to the time if removal, it was visible to everyone whether you liked it or not. this ethical dilemma has since been addressed, but what I am wondering is that as technology is becoming more and more advanced, how will they maintain control of these ethical considerations? It seems with improving technologies there is so much more to consider!



References:

Allen, R. (2004). The penguin english dictionary. London: Penguin Books.

Quin, M. (2009). Ethics for the information age. Pearson Education: USA

Wikipeadia. (2012). Information technology. Retrieved May 2012 from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Information_technology

Wikipeadia. (2012). Computing ethics. Retrieved May 2012 from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_ethics




No comments:

Post a Comment